All you need is love. And a wig.

Photo:  from Accion Poetica
Photo: from Accion Poetica

Last week I dressed up as Princess Leia.  It wasn’t Halloween, Mardi Gras, or even a costume party.  Nor does my husband have a kinky fetish for intergalactic rebel royalty (that I’m aware of).  I dressed up because my youngest son is a Star Wars freak and it was his birthday party.  Yes, that’s right.  Instead of doing the intelligent thing and paying someone else to entertain ten five-year-olds for two hours, I swallowed any remaining pride I had and donned what could possibly be argued as the most unflattering hair -do ever, a white, polyester robe and elasticized spats.  My husband spent the party decked out  as Darth Vader.  As he is about eight inches taller than the average male, the nylon jumpsuit that came with the costume was understandably a bit….er….snug in the groin.  (Insert light saber joke here).

So on a random Sunday in April, we got into galactic character and partied down.   I figure that makes us some of the coolest parents on the planet….or the most ridiculous.  The odds are pretty evenly split at this stage.

IMG_1523
Help me Obi-wan Kenobi, my pride is at stake…

Dressing as a watered down version of Carrie Fisher is really only the last in a long line of ridiculous things I’ve done in the name of love. Watermelon cheer at the Boy Scouts pack meeting?  Check. (Under duress, but check).  Spending whole days jig-saw piecing cakes together to make them look like Lego bricks or R2D2?  Check.  Waking up early to hide small plastic animals and other objects in not-quite-plain-sight for a scavenger hunt for six-year olds?  Check.  Collecting 50 paper towel and toilet paper rolls for crafty light sabers–(not once, but twice as someone nicked the first bag)?  Check.  And that’s just the tip of the ludicrous iceberg.

When you are a parent, you may not get a manual, but you get a crash course in unconditional love and pride swallowing.  Parenting is not about giving and receiving with children, it’s about giving, giving, giving.  It’s like Santa Claus on steroids.  There is little reciprocity, little feedback, little acknowledgement or encouragement.  Being a parent is like opening a vein.  And keeping it open.  Just when you think it will scab over, heal a bit, someone else has a need that tears it open once again.

Photo:  www.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk
Photo: http://www.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk

I’ve never doubted the love I felt for my kids.  But the frequent and easy suppression of my pride, my willingness to look silly, to suffer through two hours of an incredibly itchy wig, surprised me.  Only love for my children could make me do such things.  That or the chance to embarrass them by pulling into the school parking lot blasting ABBA at full volume or doing spastic YMCA arm movements at a social gathering.

We borrowed the costumes for the party.  But seeing that the franchise shows no sign of slowing down, we are thinking of investing to own.

May the force be with you.

Princess Leia Organa of Alderaan

23 thoughts on “All you need is love. And a wig.

1. womanunadorned April 28, 2013 / 12:50 pm

You can’t buy the costumes because next year you’ll find yourselves being wizards or hobbits (sounds as if we can guess which one your husband might prefer to be).

• dhonour April 28, 2013 / 8:15 pm

I think I may need to draw the line at dressing as a Hobbit. I may swallow my pride on a frequent basis, but I can’t devour it completely!

2. Elizabeth April 28, 2013 / 1:13 pm

I have no doubt that your boys and all their friends (and any parent in attendance) left thinking you and Richard are in fact the coolest f’ing parents EVER. The force is undoubtedly with you!

• dhonour April 28, 2013 / 8:14 pm

:-). There’s always that fine line between cool and well….kinda crazy.

3. ElizabethWolf April 28, 2013 / 1:19 pm

i always wondered what kind of sunglasses Princess Leia would wear…

• dhonour April 28, 2013 / 8:13 pm

Glad I could provide the answer.

4. doublewhirler April 28, 2013 / 4:12 pm

I do hope you are going to start up a line of cakes! And, hey, look on the bright side, any hair do that will keep your ears warm in a Copenhagen spring can’t be that ridiculous—hmmmm, what planet was Princess Leia from?

• dhonour April 28, 2013 / 8:10 pm

Leia Solo, nee Organa (originally Leia Amidala Skywalker) hails from the planet Alderaan. Not sure what the weather there was like before it was blown up by the Death Star….

• dhonour April 28, 2013 / 8:08 pm

Thanks. It’s funny, this post was meant as a stop-gap. I’m struggling through a few other posts, can’t get the tone right, can’t find the words. But I couldn’t bear not posting something. I’m glad it turned out ok in the end. Thanks, as always, for the support.

5. Jeneva April 28, 2013 / 7:35 pm

LOVE these pics!

6. Lin April 28, 2013 / 9:51 pm

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT…..you never cease to make me laugh until the tears roll down my face……Elizabeth’s mom/Lily’s Gran

• dhonour April 29, 2013 / 7:16 am

:-). A high compliment indeed! Thank you so much!

7. keladelaide April 29, 2013 / 5:38 am

I nodded and agreed my way through your wonderfully written post. All in the name of love…….

• dhonour April 29, 2013 / 7:32 am

Thank you! High praise from the Queen of those Free Little Words ;-).

• keladelaide April 29, 2013 / 1:50 pm

Queen? Is that going to be the next costume I’ll need to wear?
        I think Almost 6 has more of an ‘Angry Bird’ theme in mind for next month which probably suits me well. title-wise, but I’m not sure the big, balloon shaped costume will!

(I know you wrote your comment as a compliment-thank you!)

8. dhonour May 3, 2013 / 5:01 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion my husband would have preferred the ‘slave girl’ costume Leia wore in Return of the Jedi, but well, it was a children’s party after all. I did not know of your love of Star Wars, but if it comes remotely close to the level of fan-dom in my house, but multiplied by adulthood, well, I am a little freaked for your family ;-). Obviously we are big fans in our home, 3/4 of our family bordering on slightly obsessive. I’m just along for the ride. But check out my lazy mom’s lessons through Star Wars if you haven’t already. https://wineandcheesedoodles.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/may-the-force-be-with-you-life-lessons-through-a-star-wars-filter/
    In return, I’d love to hear your take on how Star Wars rules the world. Link me up.
    Oh, and please call me Dina.

• dhonour May 4, 2013 / 1:24 pm

Lol, that was my Facebook status as soon as I got up today. My boys have been wetting themselves with excitement over May the 4th. And yes, your wife is a saint. Most of us are 😉

9. peachycheeksbaby May 28, 2013 / 10:00 pm

I love this! It’s funny how we as moms will humiliate ourselves for our kids, but then still have a great time!

• dhonour May 29, 2013 / 3:55 pm

I’m not sure how much of a great time can be had around 10 five year-olds, but I get your point! Every year I say, not this year, we’ll shell out the money, and every year I do something ridiculous.