Love Poems are a Dime a Dozen

verse or prozac. i

write to you:
a thousand words of
poetic translation ultimate
frustration. without bending
or melting myself into
color sound or feeling. without
hiding behind pretty metaphors
or white and glossy symbols. this

is not a poem of bread crumbs:
it will not does not can not
lead you anywhere beyond a now;
beyond a you, beyond an i.

it would be easy to
give you a treasure map that
would lead you along red veins
until you reached the gold X
of memory or to describe the hiss
of steam from your fingerprints
splaying across skin. it would be
simple to fill a page with
silk and syrup…..but

this poem is blind deaf dumb to
that: passionless but slow steady
dripping with want of understanding. it
lacks the juice of early morning kisses
the sunburn of midnight penetration but
it has a carefully folded piece of
myself in it opened
for a you to read. consider

this a love poem.
consider this an invitation to
tea with my soul. consider it
a hundred words dedicated to a raw
you and a naked i. nothing
no one nowhere else
beyond this now.

Photo: weheartit.com
Photo: weheartit.com

Poetry was my first foray into creative writing. Lately, I’ve been excavating poems, carefully dusting off the build up of time from their bones to see what I can piece together. Some of them stand alone, skeletons intact. There are others that may prove to be just as sturdy with a little glue here and there. And of course there are many more which deserve nothing more than the respect to die peacefully, chained by the ankle to the time and place in which they were written.

Two older poems, Pinpricks and Creation, Saturday 5PM, which did a circuit of NYC poetry slams back in the 1990s were published today at Purple Pig Lit.

The poem above was published in The Olivetree Review way back in 1996 and remains one of my favorites. It was published as Untitled, but now, this many years later, I prefer Love Poems are a Dime a Dozen.

135 Comments Add yours

1. InfiniteZip says:

Gorgeous flow of words and feeling.

1. dhonour says:

Thank you. I’ve always like this one.

2. NotAPunkRocker says:

Beautiful words and sentiment.

1. dhonour says:

Thank you. I have always liked the naked-ness in this poem, the offering up of the ‘me’ as is, no frills. It still speaks to me after nearly 20 years. Thanks for reading–I know poetry isn’t for everyone, I appreciate the comments!

3. Everything about this poem is naked. 🙂 I love it, Dina.

1. dhonour says:

Thanks, Andra. I think my choice of a new title speaks just as much as the poem does too!

4. It’s warm, inviting and easy to appreciate. I’m delighted these can be gotten so cheaply. I need six. Must have a nickel around here somewhere…

1. dhonour says:

And thus why writers never make any money… ;-). My mother used to say “If I had a nickel for every time you kids…(fill in the blank). Perhaps we’re on to something here.

1. dhonour says:

Thanks, Stuart! I’ve always been partial to it myself.

5. Wilson says:

My favorite line of poetry that goes along with the heading. “Bitches come a dime a dozen, so don’t get mad when I fuck your cousin”

1. dhonour says:

Well, not quite the tone I was going for all those years ago, but there you go 😉

6. Him says:

A very sweet poem. Congratulations on it (and the ones at PPL.)

7. Gorgeous. The words read so honestly and simply. Just how love is supposed to be ❤

1. dhonour says:

Thank you. If only love were that simple, right? But you are right–it should be.

8. I am speechless. It’s beautiful.

1. dhonour says:

Thank you very much. Though most of us write for ourselves for the most part, it is always nice when something you write touches someone else. Thanks again. x

9. Reblogged this on zeepyinspired and commented:
    #BeiNspired #ZeepyiNspired

Thanks for the reblog!

10. Forgive my stupidity.. Is.this written by yourself? Either way happy to have read it thank you

1. dhonour says:

Yes, I wrote this, back in the late 1990s. Digging through the mounds of paper I have complied in the last 20 years, I found a new home for it here.

11. raahats says:

I’ve never read a better poem💚

1. dhonour says:

A most untrue, but most appreciated statement! Thank you.

12. I am inspired…lovely writings! 🙂

1. dhonour says:

Thank you–a better compliment I haven’t had!

13. magnocrat says:

It had some unique stuff like ‘ a carefully folded piece of myself’
    I miss the silk and syrup and the beat of rythmn. This is the modern jazz of poetry and it drifts existentially.

1. dhonour says:

Thanks. Part of my ‘writing’ whether it’s poetry (which I haven’t dabbled in for a long time) or more recently creative non-fiction, is putting words and phrases that you don’t associate with each other together, along with alliteration. The comparison to jazz is spot on–it’s definitely more of a ‘beat’ poem than a traditional sonnet or rhyme. I’m glad you found some stuff in there that stood out to you.

14. saritacarter says:

Reblogged this on Sarita Carter Online Public Journal and commented:
    I completely love this free will of poetic genius.

1. dhonour says:

Thank you for the reblog–and for the exceedingly large and kind compliment.

15. Your words touch the hearts of all men and women. This poem is full of truth and the flow of the words are excellent.
    I wish you luck 🍀 in your poetic journey.

1. dhonour says:

Thank you very much. I haven’t written poetry in years, though that is how I got my start. I hope that my prose touches people too, but in longer form! Thank you for the very kind words, and especially for the luck in this journey.

16. awax1217 says:

Amazing how much has been written about love and yet we know so little about it. For all the words we are as mixed up about the concept as Adam and Eve. Did he really love her or just used her for she was around. And since she was made up of his rib, was he just loving himself. What did he see in her? Did she nag him to take out the garbage? Was there garbage in Eden or just recyclables? Did she control the remote? What television programs did they watch? Okay no television, wait they would have to talk to each other. OMG! How quaint? No wonder he ate that apple.

1. dhonour says:

I like to think we know so little about it because we all experience it differently. But probably not. I would take a much more feminist bend on the Adam and Eve story though 😉

17. Beautiful beautiful beautiful!

1. dhonour says:

Thank you very much. I know poetry is a hard sell for people, so it’s exciting when someone resonates with people. Thanks again.

18. Wow, that’s amazing. Check out my blog maybe? Your opinion would mean a lot. 🙂

1. dhonour says:

Thank you! If there is anything I’ve learned, especially in the past 2 years of blogging, it is to trust your own instincts in terms of your writing. It’s what YOU think that matters!

1. That’s amazing advice.

2. dhonour says:

I think it’s great that you found some advice in there!

3. Do visit my blog please. 🙂

19. Great write! I will be following your blog and looking forward to more of your work.

1. dhonour says:

Thank you. I hope you can find more to like :-).

20. autowire says:

Poetry is not for me.

1. dhonour says:

That’s the best thing about art, that even though there are things out there that aren’t for you, there are other things out there that are. Win win.

21. liature says:

Inspiring poem!

Thank you very much!

1. dhonour says:

Thank you, pleased you found something you liked.

22. Maria says:

Pleasing to me.

23. Xavier D says:

What a golden treasure, thanks for allowing us to read this. ‘Talent’ is such a small word compared to the extraordinary ability you have at writing poetry.

1. dhonour says:

High compliments indeed, not entirely well deserved, but I thank you for taking the time to read and to comment!

Thanks for the reblog

24. ranjeetgarde says:

The title – Love poems are a dime a dozen – appears as a satire. As this poem stands out amongst thousands. Truly heartfelt choice of words.

1. dhonour says:

Ah…but it’t not a love poem ;-). Thank you for the compliment, I am glad you enjoyed the poem.

25. erilhi says:

Reblogged this on amor deliria nervosa and commented:
    I want to perform this at an open mic. Omg.

1. dhonour says:

Ah, thanks! I’m sure I did perform this at an open mic at some point! Most of my writing, even my nonfiction, is written in cadence, meant to be read aloud. I’m glad you spotted that in the poem.

26. skh365shades says:

Love it, great choice of words. One of those writings that you just can’t stop reading

Thank you very much!

27. L. N. Holmes says:

Excellent and unexpected — exactly how I like my poems. 🙂

V. happy to oblige 🙂

1. dhonour says:

Thank you, for the compliment and for taking the time to leave it.

I like to think so 😉

28. jmpod says:

Beautifully stark. Thank you!

1. dhonour says:

Thanks. I am happy the starkness stands out. I think at the time I wrote this the last thing I wanted was to write a poem of ‘silk and syrup’ or doves and balloon hearts. Love can be stark–so I”m really pleased to know that the imagery came through in the poem.

29. runningonsober says:

You had me at prozac.
    Loved this a lot…equally approachable to poetry and non-poetry lovers alike.
    Always happy to see poetry get Freshly Pressed. Even happier when it excites others about poetry. And happier still when it excites me too.
    Congrats Dina! -Christy
    (Love the new title.)

1. dhonour says:

Thank you–on all counts! It was another blogger I follow here who was FP’ed that made me rediscover my own love of poetry–reading, if not writing. I haven’t written poetry in a long time–perhaps I’ve become too wordy in my old age ;-). But it makes me happy that it is appealing to those who may not ‘like’ poetry as well. Thank you again (I like the title so much I’m now using it as a category heading on my blog)

30. jsoken1 says:

This is so raw, I love it. Really great.

1. dhonour says:

Thank you so much.I’m happy that it has stood up to the test of time.

1. dhonour says:

謝謝!(I have NO clue if that’s correct, but I tried…or rather google translate tried.)

31. So eloquent, Dina! It truly stands the test of time, and the new title fits it perfectly. Congratulations on being freshly pressed again. 🙂 All the best, Terri

1. dhonour says:

Thanks, Terri–on all counts!

32. andrewsattakorah says:

Good

33. Poetry had to power to take over your whole LIFE!

1. dhonour says:

Funny, I just found another old poem about how I wished I was a drummer because people ‘get’ drumming–poetry…not so much. I am glad I have these though, they definitely captured a time and place and mood of my life. It’s been a really wonderful experience reading them again at this different juncture in life.

34. You are disgustingly talented! I read it over and over, even out loud. Thanks!!!

1. dhonour says:

Your words are too kind! Your comment about reading it aloud was interesting to me, because a lot of my poetry was written to be performed. I’m glad you could hear that in the words. Thank you again!

1. dhonour says:

Oh, thank you so much, really!

35. stanleymathis says:

The presentation of a love poem can revolutionize an industry that need a face lift. http://fineartamerica.com/featured/my-sweet-wonder-poetry-art-stanley-mathis.html

1. dhonour says:

Poetry is a hard one, isn’t it? It seems to fall in either the sticky sweet, over sentimental camp or the esoteric “what the hell are they saying” camp. I think it’s probably why I stopped writing it–it seemed that there wasn’t a real market for it beyond poetry slams. But I still love to read it.

36. Your writing is so emotionally charged, it is not your hands that wrote this but rather your heart!

1. dhonour says:

Thank you. I have a feeling, going backward, that my heart had been stomped on a few times by this point, but it was still looking for something–which is what life is, right?

1. dhonour says:

Well, I’m not sure which pic you are referring to, but I’ll say a general thanks to cover all my bases 🙂

37. sittihajar29 says:

Reblogged this on sittihajar29 and commented:
    Good

38. contemplatingexperiences says:

Reblogged this on samikshachandak74 and commented:
    lovely..)

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )