Surely we don't need a commercialized holiday like Mother's Day to tell us when to celebrate the mothers in our lives. No need to buy into this forced appreciation nonsense, right? We should celebrate and appreciate mothers every day! Uh huh. We should eat five servings of vegetables, floss and take 10,000 steps every day... Continue Reading →
There was a time when I was moon, sun, and stars to my boys. Their days began and ended with me: a morning hug around the neck, a goodnight kiss in the dark. It was exhausting, but it was also gloriously uncomplicated. These days their need for me grows more nuanced by the hour. I... Continue Reading →
The need, desire, demand for constant contact has caused us to move from the assumption of all being well unless we get a call to the assumption of everything is wrong unless we get a call. That's a pretty seismic shift.
My sister told a funny story over Christmas. Our mother, waiting to pull into a parking space, was thwarted by a black-hearted parking space thief. Righteous and indignant, she got out of her own car, knocked on the window of the other and proceeded to tell the driver off. My mother didn't swear or rant... Continue Reading →
Dear Mom and Dad, Thanks for saying 'no'. Thanks for setting a curfew. At the time I thought it was ridiculous. Looking back? It seems pretty damn reasonable. Thanks for following through. Surrendering the keys to my car sucked...but you said it would happen if I did X. I did X. It would sound trite to... Continue Reading →
Nothing's gonna happen, Mom. Don't worry. It's a constant refrain from my children, especially as they get older. They are most probably right. 99% of the time, they are probably right. But I'm a mother. I worry about the other 1%. It started early in pregnancy when I worried my son was epileptic. It turns out he... Continue Reading →
...give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.** Sometimes in the dead dark of night I worry. I worry about a lot of the same things most mothers worry about. Whether I've peeled enough carrot sticks for lunch. Whether I've remembered to sign the field trip permission form. Whether I've forgotten some major life event my kids will be traumatized by... Continue Reading →
Not that long ago, we celebrated my son's tenth birthday. A milestone for him and another notch on the parenting belt for me. You have to trust me when I say there were days when I didn't think either one of us would make it here. There was the dramatic, traumatic delivery and subsequent two weeks... Continue Reading →